Saturday, May 21, 2011

Press to Impress!


Hello. This is an iron. It irons things. If you are in the 0-18 demographic, you have probably never ever used one before. You may have never even seen one before. Ask your mother, sister, grandmother, housekeeper, etc. They can explain it to you.

If there's one thing I've learned from this project so far, it's that prepping the fabric and pattern and everything takes infinitely longer than the time spent actually sewing stitches. For all inspiring seamstresses out there, and any other interested individuals, I'll try to give a short, and by no means thorough, overview of what goes into making a skirt.

First, you have to cut the pattern pieces, which you then press along with the fabric. Pressing is just a fancy way of saying iron.
A pattern piece
Then you have to pin the pattern onto the fabric--the biggest hassle, especially when you have a lot of pieces or if you just have some klutzy fingers, like me. How other people do this so fast and don't poke their fingers, I have no idea. 


And then there's the cutting! This may be weird or whatever, but I personally love cutting, whether it's fabric or paper or anything. I just find it so satisfyingly relaxing! Weird? Maybe. Do I care? Nope.


So then you're done! Well except for the part where you actually have to sew and everything. : )

No comments:

Post a Comment